Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Turbo" wrappers. Chapter 6. #56. Dodge Shadow.

My favorite wrapper.

Strange choice. Why is it favorite? Because it's first picture I imagine when I hear word "Turbo". Something is in it to attract & to remember through times. Probably that's absolutely best picture displaying ordinary Shadow - mustard yellow body, black toned glasses, cool rims... and blind front lights. The front lights are the details of big impression for me for some reason.


The plot "Whatta cool mustard!"

 This wrapper invoked me to create the Rockfoxie journal and write about Turbo collection. The answer is simple - sweet memories from my childhood.
I didn't know about "Dodge" brand before this wrapper. So I'd asked my grandfather spelling the name as [dodge] reading each letter as written not [dodj]. He said he didn't know such name only Dodge (he said it correctly. The older Soviet generation remembered military "Dodge 3/4" known as really good car of the WWII. Naturally Grand dad couldn't say anything about "Shadow".
This car stayed unknown in our country. But some years later a lot of similar Chrysler LeBaron and Saratoga had appeared on the roads. But I want to take a look on real mustard Shadow even now.

What about the car itself.

Dodge Shadow (Plymouth Sundance) is one of the most usual american compact cars that was in produce in 1987–1994 until Neon cars replaced 'em. The picture shows not usual Shadow, but Carrol Shelby version called Shelby CSX produced between 1987 and 1989. It was equipped with Chrysler  turbocharged 2.2 L engine producing 174 hp. Shelby turbo tuning didn't affect the power, but increased torque until 278 Nm at an unheard of 2100 rpm. Lightweight car was really fast on the streets.
Shelby CSX from Wikipedia
Turbo wrapper presents correct data. The only mark I should do is that car showed on Turbo has another look of bonnet and front bumper with additional fog lights. Standard Shadow and CSX didn't have these features. So probably it's result of customization or tuning.

No comments:

Post a Comment