Friday, November 22, 2013

"Turbo" wrappers. Chapter 11. #61. Volkswagen Scirocco.

Wind's name.


Scirocco is simple but very nice car for me. When I had got this wrapper I couldn't read the name of model. Then my father explained me that it was the name of wind blowing in Italy from the south. And I had remembered it well. This time one couldn't find Scirocco on the SU strets. But it successor "Corrado" was well known in the 90s as "mafia car".


Stretched Lada Samara.


The 3-door hatchback (well it's coupe) looks very similar to popular Russian car Lada Samara (VAZ-2108) but a bit strethed. The car didn't look extremely spectacular in the beginning of nineties - Giugiaro had drawn it in the beginning of 1970s. But it was still rather contemporary because of facelifting that was made in 1981. As for me it's still one of my most favorite cars of all times. Specially the car of second generation presented on wrapper. I love the rear lights and the wing, they are just great.

What about the car itself.


The car of second generation named "Mark II" (Typ 53B) was in production since 1981 until 1992 and then it was changed to similar but contemporary model Corrado. Together with 1st generation it lived quite long auto life. As for me modern Scirocco has nothing similar with the predecessor except name and body type. It's ideologically and typically another car. And it's outlook is much closer to modern Golf than to real Scirocco.


It's pleasant that the wrapper shows right characteristics. 139PS corresponds to the most powerful engines 16-valve (KP) that could be installed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment